Assistant Property Manager
Position: Assistant Property Manager
Classification: Full-Time Exempt
Pay Range: Commensurate with Experience
Department: Housing Management
Reports to: Property Manager
Date: July 19, 2021
Assist the Property Manager in ensuring the efficient and effective operation of assigned properties. Work responsibilities include assisting with operational and financial aspects to include lease renewals, rent collection, maintenance request, delinquency management and evictions. Performs financial and operational reporting. Ensures compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as the Authority's policy and procedures.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Processes move-ins, move-outs and lease renewals. Advises new tenants on public housing occupancy requirements and responsibilities.
- Conducts eligibility of the initial examination and the re-examination, recertification for the tenants' income and family composition, as applicable.
- Interviews prospective residents, shows available apartment units to applicants, and explains the operation of the dwelling equipment.
- Manages and maintains a waiting list of prospective residents per HUD and Housing Authority guidelines.
- Maintains and monitors lease and accounting records, accounts receivable/delinquency records, and eviction notifications.
- Prepares and monitors daily, weekly, and monthly vacancies and delinquency reports.
- Establishes and maintains a good rapport with the public, fellow employees, residents, and other housing authorities, and promulgates and maintains Housing Authority policies, rules and applicable HUD regulations.
- Assists in performing property inspections and alerts appropriate staff of items requiring attention.
- Processes evictions including paperwork completion, serving and filing notices, communicating with attorneys, and attending court hearings.
- Assists in coordinating follow-up and initiation of work orders and request for maintenance work with the maintenance personnel.
- Performs general office functions including preparation of correspondence, rental notices, etc.
- Assist in publishing residence newsletter.
- Assist Property Manager in training other staff.
- Assist with resident relations and problem resolution.
- Assumes property operations responsibility in the absence of the Property Manager.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
- Completes financial and leasing reports.
- Collects delinquent account balances from current and previous residents and invoice residents for late fees and special maintenance charges.
- Assists the Property Manager with timecard submission.
- Assists in maintaining and monitoring accounting records including accounts receivable/ delinquency records.
- Posts collections to resident account cards, prepares financial reports and reviews same to assure accuracy and completeness prior to submission.
Quality Control & Reporting
- Updates computer systems to reflect current occupancy information.
- Audits records and files to identify items requiring administrative action such as lease expirations, delinquent accounts and unlawful detainers.
- Audits new and current lease agreements and resident files.
- Stays informed on applicable changes and updates to federal and state regulations/laws.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Applicable HUD regulations.
- Real estate, landlord/tenant and fair housing laws.
- Principles, policies, and procedures of public housing administration.
- Rental housing industry and local market conditions.
- Public relations principles.
- Daily property management operations.
- Client service and relationship building.
- Time management and delegation.
- Oral and written communication.
- Data analysis and mathematical calculation.
- Budget and resource allocation.
- Obtain a Public Housing Manager Certification or equivalent within one year of completion of probationary period.
- Manage multiple priorities and multiple demands to accomplish tasks in accordance with established requirements.
- Establish a good rapport and tactfully deal with employees, residents, and the public in a congenial and diplomatic manner.
- Follow, carryout, and enforce oral and written instructions, policies, rules, and regulations.
- Anticipate potential problems and needs in order to develop and initiate timely appropriate corrective action.
- Use sound judgment and make and implement decisions.
- Effectively initiate and manage work projects.
- Perform daily inspection of all offices, apartment units, grounds, etc. at the assigned development.
- Sit at a desk or conference table to enter information for extended periods of time.
- Check stairwells and hallways for cleaning and lighting.
- Access file cabinets for filing and retrieval of data.
- Give tours of facilities.
- Travel between multiple sites as required.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements:
- Graduation from a standard high school or possession of a GED certificate. An Associates Degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
- Experience in real estate, property management or management of facilities involving public contact and bookkeeping.
- Three years of progressively responsible management experience in public housing or property management.
- Computer proficiency in Windows operating systems and MS office software, including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Able to operate Internet applications and email, as well as other proprietary software programs.
- An equivalent and acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Possession of valid driver's license.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be made to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.
Internal Applicants: Complete and sign an Internal Position Interest Form prior to the closing date.
External Applicants: Please download SPHA's Employment Application, complete it and email or mail to:
St. Petersburg Housing Authority
Attention: Human Resources
2001 Gandy Blvd. North
St. Petersburg, FL 33702
Note: Employees have a promotional preference and transfer consideration over other applicants.
Note: Applicants must possess all required qualifications of the position to receive an interview. The applicant must also be able to pass a 10-Panel Drug Screen prior to hiring.
St. Petersburg Housing Authority is a Drug-Free Work Place