Position: Full-Time Exempt
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Supervisor: Facilities & Maintenance Supervisor
Salary Range: $35,507.00 - $38,500.00
Closing Date: Open until filled
This is limited semi-skilled work involved in assisting the maintenance staff in the basic repair of buildings, facilities, apartments, equipment, and devices. Employees in this position are responsible for the satisfactory performance of light and heavy manual laboring tasks in a wide variety of construction and maintenance work to include: plumbing, carpentry, welding, masonry, refrigeration, electrical, roofing, appliance repair, alteration, and lawn upkeep. Some assignments may require skills that can readily be learned on the job. Many tasks assigned may be routine and repetitive in nature. The work location may vary as needed and evening and weekend on-call work is required on a rotating basis. Work is evaluated through results obtained and on-the-job inspections.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work independently in assigned areas as instructed.
- Repairs electrical appliances, refrigerators, and stoves as assigned.
- Performs repair activities on plumbing, carpentry, refrigeration, electrical, appliance, roofing, etc., as directed. Perform painting duties of the interiors and exteriors of buildings.
- Remove, install and repair various types of water and sewer pipe, works in trenches or excavation often with water.
- Performs janitorial duties including general clean-up work around the sites. Janitorial duties may include, and are not limited to, the waxing of floors, the cleaning of restroom facilities, and the emptying of trash.
- Performs routine cleaning duties inside apartments when a resident moves out.
- Performs lawn maintenance duties to include: spray and trim foliage, clear brush and cut and edge grass and weeds with hand tools and power operated equipment; assist in planting trees and shrubbery; lay sod and give general care to lawns and grounds; remove dirt, rubbish, weeds, leaves, and other refuse from grounds.
- Completes work orders and obtaining the necessary materials and/or supplies to complete assigned work orders.
- Performs a variety of tasks that may include mixing concrete with shovels, using prescribed amounts of sand, cement, and water.
- Assists in the loading and unloading of heavy materials, moves or aids in moving heavy boxes of equipment and large and bulky objects.
- Assist in rotating on-call duties (nights and weekend) as assigned. Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
No supervisor authority
Operates under direct general supervision of the Facilities and Maintenance Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Trades to include HVAC, plumbing, electrical, painting, carpentry and property maintenance. equipment and appliance usage and minor repair
- Safety, fire prevention and first aid techniques.
- Methods, practices, tools, and materials used in general maintenance and repairs of buildings, facilities, and equipment.
- Occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
- Use and care of hand tools, gauges, electrical metering devices, power tools, lawn and other related equipment.
- Measurement and mathematical calculations. Judgment and decision making.
- Problem analysis and resolution. Oral and written communication. Resource allocation.
- Time management and workload prioritization.
Operate motor vehicle in order to visit various sites and properties.
Work in a variety of conditions and locations including on ladders, rooftops, confined areas,
underground spaces, etc.
- Ability to physically meet with prospective and active partners in the community.
- Possess the level of manual dexterity sufficient to operate terminal keyboard, telephones, fax/copy machines and general office supplies
- Ability to sit at a desk or conference table for extended period
Frequently move about the office and access stored files and records
- Ability to move, handle, or lift moderately heavy objects such as computer equipment
Education and Experience Required
Possession of high school diploma or GED certification.
A minimum of three years' experience in various trades including general property maintenance, carpentry, plumbing, refrigeration, appliances and/or electrical maintenance and repair.
Required to supply personal hand tools.
- Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be made to qualified individuals with disabilities.
- Must possess valid driver's license.
Internal Applicants: Complete and sign an Internal Application prior to the closing date.
External Applicants: Please download SPHA's Employment Application, complete it and email or mail to:
St. Petersburg Housing Authority
Attention: Human Resources
2001 Gandy Blvd. North
St. Petersburg, FL 33702
Note: Employees have a promotional preference and transfer consideration over other applicants.
Note: Applicants must possess all required qualifications of the position to receive an interview. The applicant must also be able to pass a 10-Panel Drug Screen prior to hiring.
St. Petersburg Housing Authority is a Drug-Free Work Place