Position: Full-Time Exempt
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer
Salary Range: $61,602.00 - $90,465.00
Closing Date: Open until filled
Performs a variety of functions relative to projects within Real Estate Development and Capital Improvement Services. Plans, coordinates, estimates costs and oversees all capital improvements for SPHA, working directly with contractors and vendors to ensure deliverables fall within SPHA's project scopes and budgets. Assists in facility maintenance management and acts as a liaison for construction/educational work programs. Performs data gathering, provides, and maintains documents of construction methods and activities.
The statements contained here reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, the level of knowledge and skills typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered as an inclusive listing of work functions or requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibility
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned. Inspects new and remodeled construction activities, including but not limited to, demolition, rough-in, framing, finishes and completion of contract compliance and conformance to applicable building codes, laws, contractual specifications and city ordinances. Reviews Construction Punch List(s) and verifies cost estimates, timelines and work completion.
• Reviews and interprets design documents, lab reports and test, drawings, specifications and change orders, specifically noting errors, non-compliance and recommending required appropriate actions. Reviews construction bids for comparison and document results.
• Oversees performance of construction, to include scope of work, specification, agreements and cost and construction schedule. Assist with review of plans and designs for accurate assessment of scope of services on projects. Responsible for reviewing all specifications produced by A/E.
• Prepares and maintains daily construction reports, photographs, files and other reports as required that documents the status of various construction activities. Determine plan modifications to projects as necessary.
• Provides information and answers questions from contractors, architects, construction managers and SPHA Management Personnel regarding HUD regulations, status of project, procedures, and other relevant information and/or data.
• Inspects quality of materials and methods of construction to ensure contract compliance.
• Reviews and verifies construction completion and stored materials status for contract payment request to ensure contract 'not to exceed amount' and other applicable information accuracy.
• Assists in coordinating logistical and maintenance needs with the Chief Operating Officer and other affected Departments Heads, to include but not limited to moving of offices, remodeling building/spaces, provision of furniture and/or fixtures, scheduling of routine and non-routine work orders on projects, etc.
• Assists Supervisor and/or designee in the inspection, assessment and preparation of housing units for inspection reviews from HUD/REAC and other Housing Partners.
• Performs other related and appropriate duties as assigned to support the strategic goals of SPHA.
Briefing/Site Inspection Reporting
• Performs daily on-site-inspections of the progress of projects
• Provides reports of the site observation with photographs.
• Reviews liens, waivers, testing reports, etc.
• Provides required follow-up for compliance with the Davis Bacon Act. Prepares Davis Bacon reports and conducts interviews of contractors and subcontractors.
Budget & Inventory
• Creates and maintains a Physical Needs Assessment for all SPHA-owned properties.
• Creates Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) or applicable drawing of units, buildings, etc. as needed.
• Creates and maintains Excel data files on property improvements.
Safety & Compliance
• Manages safety and health certifications for each site.
• Monitors health and safety programs and assists in training for maintenance personnel.
• Ensures stipulated safety rules and regulations are met.
Section 3 and Minority Business Enterprise Obligations
• Coordinates Section 3 compliance activities with developers, contractors, consultants, residents, etc. for reporting purposes.
• Tracts and monitors Section 3, MBE, WBE, DBE participation of SPHA's construction projects and provide regular reports.
• Coordinates on-going Section 3, and MBE written reports
No supervisory authority
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
• Southern building standards/local building codes and regulations, federal/state/local safety standards and regulations, and HUD forms and requirements.
• Construction practices and trades including masonry, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, roofing, carpentry, painting and property maintenance.
• CAD. Desktop computer and standard drafting.
• Materials used in building and construction industry and industry standards for construction methods.
• Safety, fire prevention and first aid techniques.
• Judgment and decision-making.
• Problem analysis and resolution.
• Oral and written communications.
• Resource allocation and budgeting.
• Time management and organization.
• Measurement and mathematical calculations.
• Scheduling and multi-tasking.
• Apply technical knowledge and follow established inspection techniques.
• Establish effective working relationships with contractors, engineers, architects, etc.
• Prepare concise reports, letters and records and communicate effectively, both orally and written.
• Ability to read and interpret building plumbing, mechanical, electrical, life safety, fire and city zoning codes and ordinances.
• Ability to review plans and specifications for administrative, contractual and technical adequacy.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedural manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups or managers, clients, customers and the public. This includes facilitating meetings and trainings relative to real estate construction.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• Ability to manage multiple assignments and/or projects at one time while meeting stringent timelines and deadlines.
• Ability to secure a ten (10) hour OSHA safety card within thirty (30) days of employment.
• Ability to reliably and predictably carry out duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use hands and fingers, feel, reach with hands, arms extended, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to: climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The level of manual dexterity should be sufficient to allow for operations of a terminal keyboard, telephone, facsimile, office supplies, etc. Employee must be able to move, handle and lift moderately heavy objects such as computer equipment (printer, monitor, scanners, etc.) around desk area.
Education and Experience Required
• Bachelor's degree in Construction Management from an accredited college or university is preferred. Equivalent combination of experience, education and training may substitute for degree or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which, in the sole discretion of SPHA, constitutes the required knowledge and abilities.
• A minimum of 3 years of experience in managing constructions projects, architectural drafting/design or building construction.
• Computer proficiency in Windows operating system and MS Office software involving Word & Excel. Able to operate internet applications and email, as well as external vendors' and proprietary software programs.
• Computer proficiency in CAD software
• Possession of a valid Driver's License.
Internal Applicants: Complete and sign an Internal Application prior to the closing date.
External Applicants: Please download SPHA's Employment Application, complete it and email or mail to:
St. Petersburg Housing Authority
Attention: Human Resources
2001 Gandy Blvd. North
St. Petersburg, FL 33702
Note: Employees have a promotional preference and transfer consideration over other applicants.
Note: Applicants must possess all required qualifications of the position to receive an interview. The applicant must also be able to pass a 10-Panel Drug Screen prior to hiring.
St. Petersburg Housing Authority is a Drug-Free Work Place