Groundskeeper / Laborer
Position: Groundskeeper / Laborer
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Facilities and Maintenance Supervisor
Salary Range: $31,200 - $34,000
Closing Date: Open until filled
This is limited semi-skilled work involved in assisting the maintenance staff in the minor repair of buildings, facilities, apartments, equipment, and devices. Employees in this position are responsible for the satisfactory performance of lawn upkeep and janitorial laboring tasks in a wide variety of construction and maintenance work to include: plumbing, carpentry, welding, masonry, refrigeration, electrical, roofing, appliance repair, and alteration. Some assignments may require skills that can readily be learned on the job. Many tasks assigned may be routine and repetitive in nature. The work location may vary as needed and evening and weekend on-call work is required on a rotating basis. Work is evaluated through results obtained and on-the-job inspections.
The statements contained here reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, the level of knowledge and skills typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered as an inclusive listing of work functions or requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work independently in assigned areas as instructed.
- Perform painting duties of the interiors and exteriors of buildings.
- Performs janitorial duties including general clean-up work around the sites. Janitorial duties may include, and are not limited to, the waxing of floors, the cleaning of restroom facilities, pressure washing, and the emptying of trash.
- Performs routine cleaning duties inside apartments when a resident moves out.
- Performs lawn maintenance duties to include: spray and trim foliage, clear brush and cut and edge grass and weeds with hand tools and power operated equipment; assist in planting trees and shrubbery; lay sod and give general care to lawns and grounds; remove dirt, rubbish, weeds, leaves, and other refuse from grounds.
- Completes work orders and obtaining the necessary materials and/or supplies to complete assigned work orders.
- Assists in the loading and unloading of heavy materials, moves or aids in moving heavy boxes of equipment and large and bulky objects.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- equipment and appliance usage and minor repair
- safety, fire prevention and first aid techniques.
- methods, practices, tools, and materials used in general maintenance and repairs of buildings, facilities, and equipment.
- occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
- use and care of hand tools, gauges, electrical metering devices, power tools, lawn and other related equipment.
- measurement and mathematical calculations.
- judgment and decision making.
- problem analysis and resolution.
- oral and written communication.
- resource allocation.
- time management and workload prioritization.
- operate motor vehicle in order to visit various sites and properties.
- work in a variety of conditions and locations including on ladders, rooftops, confined areas, underground spaces, etc.
- lift and carry items weighing 50 pounds.
- recognize safety hazards in the work involved and to take precautionary methods to protect self and others.
- ability to work independently on tasks assigned.
- meet the public effectively, to give information regarding development sites; and to look after the safety and welfare of visitors and residents.
- deal with the public in an effective and courteous manner and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, co-workers, residents, and the general public.
- read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and work orders written in the English language.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements:
- Possession of high school diploma or GED certification.
- A minimum of one year's experience in lawn care and janitorial duties
- Possession of valid Florida Driver's License.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with disability.
Internal Applicants: Complete and sign an Internal Application prior to the closing date.
External Applicants: Please download SPHA's Employment Application, complete it and email or mail to:
St. Petersburg Housing Authority
Attention: Human Resources
2001 Gandy Blvd. North
St. Petersburg, FL 33702
Note: Employees have a promotional preference and transfer consideration over other applicants.
Note: Applicants must possess all required qualifications of the position to receive an interview. The applicant must also be able to pass a 10-Panel Drug Screen prior to hiring.
St. Petersburg Housing Authority is a Drug-Free Work Place