Accounts Payable Specialist
Position: Accounts Payable Specialist
Suggested Salary Range: $31,200 - $35,500
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Chief Finance Officer
Date of Notice: May 5, 2020
Closing Date: Open until filled
This highly responsible position oversees Accounts Payable (AP) functions and provides administrative support to staff of the Finance Department. Answer/researches payment inquiries from vendors, suppliers, and clients; prepares payments/checks; records transactions on internal systems; maintains account files; analyze, prioritizes, verifies purchase orders and check processing; codes and pays bills/invoices. Work responsibilities are performed with the highest degree of integrity, professionalism and honesty to service the Authority and public with dedication , concern, courtesy and responsiveness.
The statements contained below reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required along with the scope of responsibility. This should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other related duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or provide relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
- Oversee and direct the daily activities of AP to ensure all responsibilities are completed according to timing, rules, regulations and policies.
- Resolve issues related to AP duties and responsibilities.
- Answer/research payment inquiries from vendors, suppliers, and employees; prepare payments/checks; record transactions on internal systems; maintain account files; analyze, code and pay bills/invoices, and make timely payments for internal vouchers and expenses.
- Answer telephone, take messages, forward calls and answer general inquiries.
- Prepare and manage internal and external correspondence.
- Prepare and maintain logs, files and external correspondence.
- Perform special projects as requested.
- Maintain department files, records, documents, and manage retention of same.
- Process accounts payable and payment reports; receive invoices and match purchase orders; scan invoices; and maintain AP records.
- Process Housing Assistance Payments (HAP).
- Send out monthly tenant rent statements to residents of the Authority.
- Receive and post all Housing tenant payments and maintain Accounts Receivable records
- Make bank deposits.
- Maintain and complete 1099s to vendors.
- If needed, assist in updating property owner files annually, collect W-9's, confirm if property taxes are paid , and if applicable confirm that corporation is active.
- Advise Finance Officer and finance staff members of any problems, concerns or questions that arise.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Expectations:
- General accounting principles and practices
- General business principles and office support practices
- Standards and practices for establishing and maintaining valid accounting documentation and credible audit trail
- Pertinent Federal, State and Local laws, codes and regulations
- Customer service
- Interpreting and applying Federal, State and Local policies, laws and regulations
- Operating of office equipment including computers and supporting word-processing, spreadsheet and applications
- Communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contracted in the course of work
- Analysis and mathematical calculations
- Judgement and decision making
- Identify and rectify problems in areas of assigned responsibility.
- Establish priorities and meet deadlines
- Sit at a desk/ conference table to enter information on a computer for extended periods
- Repetitive hand movement via keyboard, computer, data entry
- Operate a motor vehicle
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements:
- Associate's degree in office Administration, Accounting, or related field from an accredited community college or training program. Equivalent combination of experience, education and training may substitute for degree.
- Three years' experience in accounts payable and/or office management.
- Computer proficiency in Windows operating system and MS Office software including Word and Excel. Able to operate internet applications and email, as well as external vendor and proprietary software programs.
- Possession of valid Florida Driver's License.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be made to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.
- SPHA Employees: Complete and sign an Internal Position Interest Form prior to the closing date.
- Public Housing Residents: Complete and sign A SPHA Employment Application prior to the closing date.
Note: Applicants must possess all required qualifications of the position to receive an interview.