Open House at DHA’s Fairway Gardens Apartments
DUNEDIN, FLORIDA – With many people under-employed and struggling to afford a place to live in the current economy, the Dunedin Housing Authority (DHA) has created an affordable housing option, without relying on federal subsidy, for those in need of a quality, sustainable rental apartment. As part of DHA’s affordable housing program, Fairway Gardens Apartments, 30 and 110 Lady Mary Drive North in Clearwater, offers recently renovated one- and two-bedroom units at below-market monthly rents to qualified residents.
Located near the Clearwater Country Club with a view of the greens, Fairway Gardens Apartments is convenient to downtown Dunedin, downtown Clearwater, schools, libraries, and transit. The spacious units feature fresh paint, updated cabinetry and countertops, new flooring, and HVAC systems.
As a special incentive to applicants this month, DHA is offering one month of free rent. Interested renters are invited to tour the affordable units during three open house events at the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, November 9 – 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 16 – 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 19 – 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Four two-bedroom apartments, with approximately 750 square feet of living space, currently are available to rent for $675.00 per month, which is about $250 a month less than the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s 2012 Fair Market Rent for the region. One-bedroom apartments will rent for $550 per month, when available.
Eligible renters must meet the following criteria:
- Family income may not exceed 80 percent of the current Area Median Income.
- Documentation of Social Security numbers must be provided for all family members.
- Any balances owed to any federally funding housing program must be paid.
- Applicants must have no record of evictions or lease terminations from any federally funded program in the last twelve months.
- A criminal background check is performed for all applicants. Applicants with a record of criminal activity that threatens the life, health, safety, possessions, or right to peaceful enjoyment of other residents, or drug-related criminal activity, are not eligible for occupancy.
- Applicants must have satisfactory credit and a previous landlord reference.
- There is no application fee.
Fairway Gardens is located within DHA’s jurisdiction of the City of Dunedin and a 10-mile radius outside of city limits. Former DHA residents who previously lived at Highlander Village are encouraged to apply. Housing Choice Vouchers, also known as Section 8 vouchers, will be accepted for these units.
Interested renters are encouraged to attend one of the open house events. For more information about the property, please call DHA’s property management office at 727-217-7254 or check the development’s website at www.fairway-gardens.com. More information about DHA’s affordable housing program can be found online at www.stpeteha.org/DHA.htm.
About Dunedin Housing Authority (DHA):
The Dunedin Housing Authority (DHA) was created in 1966 to provide safe, decent and affordable housing for low-income residents in the City of Dunedin. A governing body of commissioners, made up of five volunteers who are appointed by the Mayor of Dunedin and confirmed by the City Commission, develops the policies and goals of the housing authority. DHA’s income is derived from tenant rents, federal subsidies, grants, and investments. DHA does not receive operating income from the City of Dunedin, Pinellas County, or the State of Florida. DHA is an Equal Opportunity Housing Provider. For more information about DHA, please visit the agency’s web page at www.stpeteha.org/DHA.htm.
For immediate release: Nov. 7, 2011
Audra Butler, Communications Officer
Return to newsroom